In Inquiry this term, our focus is on marginalised groups in our society and how we can make a difference, in some way, to these people.
Through two guest speakers, Micaela from the Refugee and Asylum Seeker resource Centre and Lucinda from Salvation Army, we discovered many things. All people in Australia have the right to be safe and secure. Unfortunately however, this is not the case for lots of people such as refugees and asylum seekers and the homeless.
Did you know:
- it is illegal to come to Australia without a visa and passport but it is NOT illegal if you come seeking refuge
- 23,000 people flee their countries every day throughout the world. Australia takes about 13,700 of these people per year.
- Many people leave their homes because they are in danger due to race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion
- over 700 people in the city of Whitehorse are homeless every night
- there are many causes of homelessness
- homelessness means not having long term accommodation that is safe and secure
- you do not have to be sleeping on the streets to be considered homeless